Elk Horn Lutheran Church

Founded: 13/12/1875 Current Use: Active Congregation

Located in Elk Horn, a town that is known for Danish heritage, also home to Museum of Danish America. Church Facebook page: “The backbone of the Danish Community of Elk Horn for over 125 years.” (retrieved Nov. 2019) Church Timeline:(from church website) 1875 Founded on April 25 as Danish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation 1876 First Pastor called – O.L. Kirkeberg. Cemetery started. First communion, baptism, marriage, burial 1878 Danish Folk High School begun 1882 First church building constructed and dedicated, had a Jes Smidt altar frame and Lorentz Henningsen painting. This church replaced in 1949; photos of new building suggest the Smidt/Henningsen work has not survived. 1890 Elim Children’s Home founded. First Sunday School classes held 1891 First organ purchased 1914 Parsonage built 1918 English church services required by the state 1948 First non-immigrant pastor Clarence Jensen. Last regularly scheduled Danish service. Salem Nursing Home begun 1950 New church dedicated

Renovations/Additions: 1963, educational wing

Is anything missing or incorrect? Let us know!

Scroll to Top