Glenwood Lutheran Church

Founded: Current Use: Active Congregation

East district of historic Little Iowa congregation (Washington Prairie Lutheran is west) Built 1869-1892 of native limestone; additions 1916 and 1954. Same architect as Washington Prairie Lutheran. Sanctuary has been refurbished; includes excellent example of decorative stenciling. Church website includes beautiful photos of interior after refurbishing. Meatball and lutefisk supper Decorah historically/culturally important Norwegian American community/ First pastor, Vilhelm Koren, went on to serve Washington Prairie Lutheran and was influential in founding Luther College

Builder: Griese of Cleveland, OH was architect

Historic Name: Glenwood Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Renovations/Additions: 1916 parish hall connected to main church by Sunday school unit addition in 1954; 1996, handicapper access

References: Glenwood Lutheran Church website (history)http://www.glenwoodlutheran.org/history

Is anything missing or incorrect? Let us know!

Scroll to Top