Swedish Zion Lutheran

Souris, ND

The congregation of Swedish Zion dates back to August 4, 1896, when a group of Swedish settlers gathered in a small rural school house. Approximately one decade later, the congregation would dedicate a substantial amount of time, talent, and resources to build the historic building of Swedish Zion. Constructed with granite, the church’s walls are accentuated with buttresses and tall windows with Gothic arches.

Today, a self-appointed board oversees the preservation of the historic structure in order to continue sharing the Swedish heritage of the congregation which dissolved in 1938. Over recent years, the masonry walls showed signs of extensive cracking and mortar loss. In order to ensure the longevity of the building, a masonry campaign was undertaken to complete a structural assessment and repair the stone walls. Working with contractors skilled in historic masonry, mortar analysis was conducted to guide repointing.

Scroll to Top