Zion Evangelical Lutheran

Manistique, MI

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church is a congregation in the Northern Great Lakes Synod of the ELCA. Established in 1885, the congregation is committed to community outreach through participation in numerous programs including Backpack Buddies which provides food on the weekends for local elementary students. The historic church building, constructed in 1906, hosts a range of community events such as the Annual Flower Show of the Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital Auxiliary.

Zion Lutheran received a $10,500 grant through the Nordic Heritage Churches program to restore several paintings which reflected the congregation’s Nordic heritage. In particular, the congregation noted the held community importance of August Klagstad’s altar painting titled, “Christ in Gethsemane.” An avid painter for congregations across the United States, August Klagstad grew up in Manistique and was in Zion’s first adult confirmation class in 1885. The painting was first held by the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Manistique, and donated to Zion Lutheran in 2003. Zion also restored its own altar painting – a Grafstrom – as part of the project. This completed restoration work ensures the paintings’ integrity as part of the community’s heritage for years to come.

 

Scroll to Top